Police Officer – London (B-Division)
The British Transport Police are currently recruiting future Police Officers in London and the surrounding areas.
As a Police Officer with the British Transport Police (BTP), you will play a crucial role in safeguarding and ensuring the safety and well-being of millions of passengers, staff, and the public. The British Transport Police offers one of the highest starting salaries for PCs across England & Wales, an attractive benefits package, the opportunity to work nationally, and unparalleled professional development.
This role offers a unique range of tasks, from dealing with serious and organised crimes to tackling graffiti and theft. As a member of a close-knit team committed to upholding the law, preventing crime, and providing exceptional service to the public, your duties will include patrolling, responding to emergencies, investigating criminal activity, gathering intelligence, and offering reassurance to members of the public.
Join the British Transport Police today and benefit from comprehensive training programs, continuous learning, and opportunities to specialise in areas such as Counter-terrorism, CID, or County Lines, to name just a few. As a specialist police force, progression and specialising is not just a possibility, it's our priority.
Points worth noting before you start your application:
- The starting salary for a Police Officer within Inner London is £36,975 per annum, inclusive of London weighting and London allowance.
- You can apply to us even if you have a live application with another police force.
- We now offer a blended learning programme where a proportion of the training will be home learning and delivered remotely.
What skills do you need to apply and why would you apply?
To apply, you will need to love variety and be comfortable handling challenging situations. You'll require excellent communication skills and the ability to build rapport with people from all walks of life. Diplomacy, calmness under pressure, and quick decision-making skills are essential. Although the hours may be unsocial, and some situations may test you mentally, physically, and emotionally, you can be assured that you are making a difference, and we will provide you with the support you need.
We have put together a document that describes a typical week in the life of one of our PC’s so please have a read of the attached. Our YouTube channel has videos to give you a better insight too.
Pay and Benefits:
- The basic starting salary is £29,751 rising year-on-year to a maximum of £46,044 per annum after 5 years.
- Locations within Inner London attract a regional allowance to reflect the increased cost of living. This includes: £7,224 for Inner London (£4338 London Allowance plus £2,886 London Weighting Allowance) from day 1 of training.
- Oyster card to use at any time.
- Voucher and incentive schemes such as cycle-to-work as well as a wide range of high street and online discounts.
- Always learning; supported by our in-house talent & development teams.
- A highly competitive pension scheme (Career Average Revalued Earnings).
- 22 days holiday (rising to 30 days with service).
We are currently recruiting for Police Officers within Inner and Outer London, including Kings Cross, Euston, Wembley, Croydon, Clapham Junction, West Ham, Waterloo, Stratford, Luton and Stevenage and many others across our B-DIVISION (please see attached station map below for other locations). Please note that you cannot specify a particular Inner London location. Your posting will be considered based on where you live, and you cannot change or transfer your posting during your 2-year probation period for any reason. Therefore, we encourage you to carefully consider the impact of working in a particular location. If you no longer feel that the posting is suitable for you, your application will be withdrawn, but you are welcome to re-apply when your preferred posting is advertised.
Application process and eligibility:
Applying is easy! Simply click on ‘Apply’ at the bottom left of this page and you will be taken through the process. All applications must be completed online via this method. You need to answer all the questions asked as unfortunately if any parts are unanswered, your application will be declined from the process.
Please go to Application Workshop - British Transport Police (btp.police.uk) for more information on the process.
We do need to let you know that you will not be eligible to apply if:
- You have been unsuccessful following a BTP Police Officer interview in the last 6 months.
- You have been unsuccessful following BTP vetting checks within the last 12 months.
- You have ever received a custodial sentence (other cautions, convictions and involvement with the police must be declared during the vetting process but are not necessarily a bar to employment).
- You have previously been dismissed from another force.
- You have been declared bankrupt, have a CCJ or an un-managed IVA.
- You have tattoos that are deemed offensive; tattoos on face and neck will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- You do not have permanent right to live and work in the UK.
For further information on our eligibility criteria, please have a read through the attached recruitment pack as it contains lots of useful information for you. Please note: The salaries in the recruitment pack are due to be updated, the salary and allowances detailed in this advert are correct. If you are unsure about your personal circumstances relating to the above criteria, please don’t hesitate to email our recruitment team who will be happy to help you: RecruitmentTeam@btp.police.uk
Please take note of the following information: This recruitment campaign is only open to new applicants. We do not accept transferees as part of this campaign. If you wish to apply to BTP via the transferee route, you will need to apply directly to a transferee advert once it becomes available.
The deadline for submitting your application is 12:00 (Midnight) on Sunday 31st March 2024. We will not be able to accept applications after this time for any reason, including technical errors. To avoid disappointment, we encourage you to submit your application before this deadline. After you have completed and submitted your application, our team will inform you of your result via email and explain the next stages of the process. Please note that this campaign may close earlier than expected based on the volume of applications received.
At BTP we are proud guardians of the railway, and it is crucial that we represent the diverse communities we serve and protect. As ‘One BTP’ across the UK, we know that diversity, inclusion and belonging help us improve our decision making, foster creativity and drive innovation so all our people can thrive.
Our vacancies are open to everyone, and all appointments are made based on merit. So that we can become more diverse we encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic backgrounds, women, people who have a disability, those who are neurodiverse and persons who identify as LGBTQI+. We use positive action to encourage potential candidates from underrepresented groups through targeted workshops or advice sessions. If you have the skills, experience, and values that here in BTP we pride ourselves on then we would welcome you to apply.
For more information on Positive Action please click here or email the team on RecruitmentTeam@btp.police.uk
On a final note...
If you want to ask us any awkward or ‘obvious’ questions, if you are you unsure whether your personal circumstances are suitable for a career as a Police Constable but don’t know how to talk to us about it OR have any questions about the application process, please email our friendly and helpful team where we will be happy to help you: RecruitmentTeam@btp.police.uk. If your question related to equality or diversity then you can also contact our Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion team directly at: PART-Recruitment@btp.police.uk. To reassure you, anything you ask us will be in the strictest confidence and will not form part of your application.
Join us on the journey and bring your professionalism, commitment, and leadership skills on board - Police like no other.