Transferee and Re-Joiner Police Constables - Ashford
BTP police and protect 10,000 miles of track and 3,000 railway stations every day; a network that is at the heart of Britain's community, commerce and industry. Join us and you’ll be providing specialist policing to a unique community in a unique environment, dealing with rewarding challenges that you won’t find in any other Force.
We are advertising for transferee and rejoiner officers to be located at Ashford.
Constables play a critical front-line role in the prevention and detection of crime and the criminal justice system. Constables work in partnership on a day-to-day basis with local communities, stakeholders and colleagues in order to promote law and order, reduce the fear of crime, provide reassurance and build confidence to improve the quality of life for citizens.
- Provide appropriate initial and ongoing frontline response to a wide range of incidents that may include complex and confrontational situations, assessing immediate risk, threat and harm to determine a proportionate response in line with the law, policy and guidance.
- Take a leading role in establishing effective localised partnerships to problem solve, engage with, reassure and support organisations, groups and individuals across communities in line with the Force’s planned approach.
- Effectively engage with victims, witnesses, suspects and the vulnerable, in accordance with equality, diversity and human rights considerations, to provide initial support, direct towards relevant services, establish relationships and gather information that prevents and reduces crimes.
- Maintain awareness of potential and actual risks to individuals, taking appropriate action to protect and support those in need of public protection to pre-empt or effectively address safety / vulnerability issues.
- Conduct effective and efficient priority and high-volume investigations as requested in line with standards of investigation to inform the development of high quality case files and initiation of criminal justice proceedings.
- Gather and handle information, intelligence, and evidence, from a variety of sources, in line with legislation, policies and guidance, taking the appropriate action to support investigations, law enforcement and criminal justice proceedings.
- Interview victims, witnesses and suspects in relation to appropriate crimes and investigations, to gather information that has the potential to support law enforcement objectives.
- Conduct first line analysis of information, intelligence and evidence to determine significance, generate lines of enquiry, inform decision making and support evidence based policing.
- Justify and professionally account for actions to ensure adherence to legal frameworks and key working principles, policies and guidance.
- Identify opportunities for and support the exploration of new ways of working and innovation in policing, applying critical thinking and problem solving methodologies to identify solutions to problems in line with evidence based practice within area of work.
- Support the implementation of problem solving and evidence based policing initiatives by championing and applying relevant methodologies and approaches to area of work.
Please download the Job Description and Candidate Information Pack for further details
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. Language skills can be especially valuable to community engagement and candidates who can speak additional languages such as Hindi, Arabic, Farsi, Bengali, Urdu, Amharic, Pushtu, Punjabi, Tamil and Somali are encouraged to apply. All applications will be judged on their individual merit.
Initial Eligibility Criteria
BTP welcome applications from those who have previously served as a member of a Home Office police force.
In line with current College of Policing guidance on re-joiner applicants, there is no time restriction in place for those wishing to re-join service and we will consider all ex-officers on application.
A training needs analysis will be conducted as required and, depending on the length of time out of service or any notable skills gaps, training could be anywhere from 2 to 18 weeks and may include a period of Work-Based Assessment. Please be aware that training requirements cannot be assessed on a speculative basis and this will be discussed at conditional offer stage.
Essential Eligibility Criteria
Before the BTP progresses your application, consideration will be given to a number of initial eligibility criteria. Therefore, please consider the following before completing an application:
- Applicants must currently be serving in a Home Office police force or have previously served in a Home Office police force.
- Those applying on a transferee basis must currently be serving in a Home Office police force and be substantive in the rank of Constable, having completed the full probationary service.
- Those applying to re-join service must have previously served as a member of a Home Office police force, having satisfactorily completed the period of probationary service in the rank of constable and resigned or retired from that force.
- Applicants must not currently be subject to any unsatisfactory performance reviews, action plans or live warnings.
- Any other eligibility criteria listed within the role-specific Job Description
You will not be eligible to apply if you have an existing CCJ or IVA outstanding against you. Applicants who have been registered bankrupt will not be considered. Failure to disclose any of the above will lead to your application being rejected.
Applicants with a criminal record will be reviewed on a case by case basis, but can be rejected from the process dependent on the date and nature of the conviction. Applicants are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org if they have any queries on previous convictions.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application form by clicking the 'Apply' button, below. You will also be required to upload copies of your most recent completed PDR. Please be advised that we do not accept CV’s.