Public Enquiry Officer – North Kent Police Station1. The Purpose of this Role
To receive and assist members of the public who visit the Police Station and to deal with enquiries, whilst undertaking general clerical and support duties relating to enquiries. To assist the Kent Police Authority in all front of house requirements.
This is a key role in support of police operations requiring liaison with all members of Kent Police Authority working at the North Kent Police Station. Public Enquiry Officers work closely with operational Police Officers and assist them with enquiries from members of the public in person or by telephone.
Public Enquiry Officers work at North Kent Police Station and at the town centre offices in Gravesend and Dartford.
2. Principle Responsibilities
1. Receive and assist visitors to the North Kent Police Station main reception, ensuring they are dealt with expeditiously and courteously in order to project a professional image of the Kent Police Authority.
2. To monitor CCTV and security gate intercom systems to check vehicles and visitors seeking entrance to the site, directing them to the designated parking area or to a visitor parking bay until their identity has been checked in person at the front reception.
3. To maintain building security, recording details of visitors and their vehicles, if applicable; notifying the person or department being visited; issuing a visitors badge; and facilitating escorting where requested.
4. To provide a comprehensive and effective information service, assisting visitors by responding to queries in relation to KPA business, identifying appropriate focal points and liaison officers, as well as satisfying general enquiries such as advising directions.
5. To record the details of and process all appropriate documentation produced by visitors and instigate any necessary action in accordance with KPA procedures.
6. Operate the KPA Road Traffic Incidents reporting system in accordance with the KPA procedures.
7. Operate the KPA crime reporting system in accordance with the KPA procedures.
8. To manage a lost and found property system in accordance with KPA procedures.
9. To handle complaints from members of the public effectively and efficiently in accordance with KPA procedures.
10. To passively monitor CCTV cameras and inform KPA personnel of any incident or irregular occurrence being identified.
11. Provide a flexible approach to your duties and carry out occasional alternative tasks as required by the Front Counter Supervisor or Facilities Manager.
12. Liaise with appropriate managers as required.
3. Training Requirements
1. Customer Care and Services.
2. KPA Policies and Procedures.
3. Health and Safety Issues.
4. Office Technology.
1. Providing excellent customer service.
2. Attention to detail.
3. Team work.
4. Self motivation.
5. Analytical and clear thinking.
6. Good composure.
6. Person Specification
1. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
2. Organised and methodical in relation to record keeping.
3. Flexible regarding working hours.
4. Computer literacy.
5. ‘Can do’ attitude.
6. Team worker.
7. Smart appearance (Corporate clothing will be provided)
To apply please send CV by post to
Front Counter Supervisor
North Kent Police Station, Thames Way, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 8BD
or by e mail to