ID Suite Officer
British Transport Police are recruiting two ID Suite Officers on a full time, permanent contract paying £23,893.06 per annum plus £2,634 London Allowance based at Central London Police Station.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing.
As ID Suite Officer with BTP you will provide a professional, comprehensive and effective service to the Identification Suite in London. You will coordinate and conduct ID procedures for BTP and when requested other Home Office Forces.
Your responsibilities as ID Suite Officer include:
- As directed by the ID inspector carry out identity parades
- Supporting witnesses including the young and vulnerable
- Liaise with officers in the case to ensure that ID parades are evidentially acceptable
- Maintain compliance with code D PACE 1984, Code of Practice, and Case Law to ensure the integrity of the procedures
- Organise and plan bookings
- Liaise with solicitors, appropriate adults and other representatives
- Plan suspect captures and witness viewings
- Provide advice and guidance to officers to ensure evidentially acceptable identification processes are secured
- Serve notice to Suspect Part 1 and 2 Code D PACE
- Conduct witness viewings in the ID suite and externally
- Train new staff to correctly operate the VIPER system
- Prepare statements and building case files for officers in the case
- Attend court as required to provide credible witness evidence
- Manage and maintain ID case files and documentation to a high standard
Further information can be found in the attached job description.
The successful ID Suite Officer will be required to evidence the following skills/experience:
- Proven experience of dealing with members of the public, preferably in a customer services environment
- A policing background is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A flexible approach to work is required to meet the needs of victims and witnesses and to accommodate urgent parade bookings
- Requires a degree of creative skill to effectively interpret witness descriptions for the compilation of ID parades (VIPER)
- Must possess excellent keyboard skills together with knowledge of software packages
- Excellent knowledge of PACE code D, equal opportunities and policing protocols
- Excellent working knowledge of VIPER
If you are interested in applying to this ID Suite Officer role then please do not delay as interviews will be held as soon as appropriate candidates are highlighted. In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary up to £23,893.06 & £2,634 London Allowance per annum
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension
- Various salary sacrifice schemes (cycle to work/childcare) and retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applications from everyone. You must have both the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been permanently resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Any cautions or convictions including those deemed ‘spent’ must be declared at the point of application but will not necessarily exclude you from employment.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved.