A Policy Officer is required for a Fixed Term Contract (6 months) role paying up to £29,735.46 with British Transport Police (BTP) based in Birmingham.
BTP is the national police Force for the rail network throughout Great Britain, including London Underground, across which we ensure the safety and security of nearly 3 billion passenger journeys and over 100 million tons of freight every year. The world in which we work is fast-paced, operationally and commercially demanding, and constantly changing. As Policy Officer you will be responsible for drafting and reviewing policies and related guidance connected to the BTP2021 Organisational Support Programme, with particular emphasis on broad HR, learning and development and transactional functions. Reporting to the Policy & Engagement Manager, ensure that policies are translated into up to date, relevant, and easily accessible documents which support future ways of working and achieve mobile/digital accessibility requirements. The post holder will contribute to an effective policy communication plan which supports delivery against the Programme’s strategic priorities.
As Policy Officer you will be required to:
- Work with the Policy & Engagement Manager review, update and draft policies ensuring policies are streamlined, clear, legally compliant, easy to navigate and aligned to benefit realisation from future systems/technology enhancements.
- Benchmark BTP HR policies and research trends in related issues, working with key stakeholders to develop tailored solutions which support the Programme deliverables.
- Ensuring that policy products are branded and comply with BTP quality assurance standards. Provide updates on policy development/reviews status to the Deputy Director People & Culture, which feed into the Audit Risk & Compliance Board.
- Establish effective working relationships across the People and Culture Directorate, in to manage conflicting priorities and manage expectations whilst also working collaboratively.
Further information about this vacancy can be found in the attached job description.
The successful Policy Officer will be required to evidence the following skills/qualifications:
- CIPD foundation level qualification or proven experience in a HR related role doing employee relations and HR policy tasks.
- Substantial experience in HR policy development within a HR policies and procedures specialist role.
- Ability to provide consultation/negotiation in the delivery of HR policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of employment law, and experience of contributing project outcomes.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to communicate to different levels throughout the organisation.
In return for your experience, we can offer you:
- Salary up to £29,735.46 per annum plus 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Final salary pension scheme
- Other benefits include a bespoke BTP rewards platform and various salary sacrifice schemes such as cycle to work as well as many high street and online retail discounts
We want our organisation to be as diverse as the community it serves and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. In order to apply, you must have the permanent right to live and work in the UK and have been resident in the UK for the previous 3 years. You will be asked these and other questions to determine your eligibility to work for British Transport Police when you start your application and you must answer honestly.
Candidates internal to BTP must confirm that they are not subject to formal action plans for sickness/complaints/discipline or poor performance, that all mandatory training courses have been attended and are in ticket/up to date, that a ‘Competent’ rating, or above, was achieved on the last reporting year PDR and they have completed their tenure period (12 months) for current substantive posting.