Corporate Business Partner - Financial Accounting Team
The Avon and Somerset force is a large employer in the South West and is made up of over 5000 Police Officers, staff and volunteers. It is structured into eight policing and enabling services directorates which form the backbone to its effective operation.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary is positioned to provide an exciting career. It's transforming and you'll contribute to the journey. It has a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force striving to provide outstanding policing for everyone. If you're looking for a fresh challenge which offers variety and a genuine opportunity to broaden your experience and make a difference, come and join us in the Finance and Business Services Directorate.
Your new role: The Finance Department is looking for a Corporate Business Partner to manage the Financial Accounting team.
Your tasks will include:
- Closing of accounts and completion and production of statutory publications ensuring that financial systems, practices and procedures are sound and in accordance with Standing Orders and Financial regulations.
- Motivate, develop and performance manage a team of finance professionals in order to raise their capability, ensure they deliver quality financial services and enable them to reach their objectives.
Contribute to developing and implementing Financial Planning and Strategy, including management of risk and audit outcomes, utilising a complete understanding of the Constabulary’s vision, values and priorities.
- To liaise with and manage the business relationship with auditors (external and internal) and other regional finance teams.
- Management of all balance sheet reconciliations and the remaining exchequer function including, accounts payable, payment runs (BACS and Cheques) and management of the Construction Industry Tax scheme, cashiering and income receivable for the Constabulary.
- Adapt, develop, implement and monitor processes and procedures used in preparing monthly capital forecasts for department and programme managers to ensure that accounting best practice is applied to budgeting across the Force. This includes horizon scanning to make recommendations on best practice in order to raise standards in the team and the wider organisation.
- Shape, influence and facilitate organisation development and change initiatives to drive through the change agenda and finance strategies.
The Successful Applicant
- Relevant degree or equivalent;
- Hold a full professional accounting qualification (CIMA, ACA, ACCA) or at least 5 years relevant experience in a financial environment specifically including budget setting, forward planning and financial and performance monitoring;
- Significant post qualification financial accountancy experience in the public sector;
- Experience of team management within a public sector financial setting;
- Able to provide advice and guidance on complex queries in relation to VAT and taxation, have a comprehensive knowledge of revenue and capital statutory requirements for final accounts;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Able to meet deadlines, prioritise workloads and work independently.
All requests for flexible working patterns will be considered and will be dependent on the role.
If an internal applicant who is at risk of redundancy / in need of redeployment has applied for this role and pass the selection process they will be offered the role over the remaining internal and / or external applicants.
Please indicate or advise if you have any reasonable adjustments we may need to consider at any stage of your application.
Please be advised we are unable to supply any feedback after shortlisting.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary are committed to
equality, diversity and inclusion. We are working hard to increase diversity and inclusion within the Constabulary, where communities are currently under-represented including those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)
communities, people of all ages, abilities,faiths, religions, gender, LGBT communities and those from other disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds who share our values and wish to make a difference to the communities we serve. All applications will be treated on merit, based on the evidence provided in your application and suitability for the role you have applied for.