MPS Return Scheme - Rejoin the Met
The MPS Return Scheme is designed to assist the Met in the return of police officers with valuable skills and experience who would otherwise retire.
The scheme allows a police officer to retire from the Met but to then return as an attested officer after a short break of service. Officers that retire will be given access to their commutation lump sum.
To be eligible to apply
- You must have 30 or more year’s pensionable service and hence be entitled to retire with maximum pension benefits (40/60ths) in order to be eligible for the Scheme.
- You must spend a minimum of one month and a maximum of two years in retirement.
- Retired police officers will be posted to existing MPS vacancies in line with the normal workforce deployment practices.
- Some conditions of service change following retirement and re-engagement on the MPS Return Scheme. Officers must carefully consider the MPS Return Scheme guidance.
- Re-engaged police officers will be subject to pension auto-enrolment in line with the Pension Act 2008.
- Compulsory retirement age limits apply to all officers on the MPS Return Scheme; and
- Extension of service rules will continue to apply for those wishing to remain in service beyond the new compulsory age of retirement for their respective rank.