- SYP & HP - Senior Engineer - Technical Security
Role: Senior Engineer – Technical Security
Department: Information Services
Location: Nunnery Square, Sheffield / Melton, Hull
Salary: £28, 713 - £33, 108
Contract Type: Permanent
The successful candidate will join a new cyber security team within South Yorkshire Police and Humberside Police.
This post provides an exciting opportunity to gain excellent experience, contributing to and influencing the organisational direction of technical security. The successful candidate will develop their skills working to national standards common across government organisations.
The purpose of this role is to ensure the continued management of security relating to technology infrastructure and services. This includes ownership of security checks/audits and proactive protection and monitoring.
This role will report to the Technical Security Lead, and will contribute on the implementation of new technologies and to the development of reporting and vulnerability assessments. The post holder will be expected to work flexibly across both Force bases.
- To provide the technical security expertise required to support the development of policy.
- Co-ordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the successful execution of projects and Business As Usual (BAU) support.
- Support the governance of technical security disciplines, including security patching and vulnerability mitigation.
- Produce management reports and project documentation as appropriate.
- Support internal and external security audits, including the ITHC programme, ensuring that risks and understood and that plans to mitigate are drawn up.
- Support the required contribution of teams across the IS structure to ensure a secure environment is maintained.
- Engagement with projects and architects to ensure security is at the heart of delivery.
- Contribute to the Security Strategy and support on its implementation.
- To be actively involved in the planning, implementation, delivery and maintenance of security technologies.
- Own and manage security incidents and proactively monitor the Force environments.
Skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of networking, server or IT security management. (MCSE, CCNA or equivalent would be desirable).
- Understanding of security technologies including Penetration Testing. With experience delivering subsequent mitigation/remediation plans.
- Understanding of IT Security good practice and policies.
- Ability to travel (between HP and SYP).
- Ability to engage and coordinate objectives through other teams or departments.
- A good understanding of corporate IT security risks and risk management.
- Experience working to national CoCo compliance requirements set by Home Office or other highly regulated environments.
- Experience leading security incidents.
- Experience in the management of multiple small projects, and work streams.
- Experience working in an information security role.
For further information relating to the role and tasks of this position, please refer to the attached role profile.
We offer generous entitlements and supportive polices to enable a better work-life balance, some of which are listed below:
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Flexible and agile working
- Generous ‘family’ leave
- Access to a range of occupational health facilities
- Generous pension scheme
- Employee assistance service ( accessible 24/7)
Applicants must meet the minimum requirement checkable history criteria, which must be taken into account for individuals applying to work with South Yorkshire Police in any capacity. A minimum checkable history of 3 years has been identified for this role and successfully undergoing recruitment vetting procedure is a pre-requisite of employment with South Yorkshire Police.
Closing dates are not normally extended, other than in exceptional circumstances and agreement is made with the HR Manager, Recruitment and the Line Manager for the role.
Did you know? You can copy and paste the link currently in your browser and access this vacancy at home.
Contact point for applicants:
For further information about the role, please contact Vincent Saltmarsh on Tel No. 07584 556 840. Please do not contact this number for an application form.
Apply for the role:
To apply for this role, please submit your CV with a Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should outline their suitability for this role, including their skills & experience.
South Yorkshire Police welcome applications from under-represented communities. For further information on diversity and inclusion within South Yorkshire Police, please visit the diversity and inclusion page: https://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/sign-up/for-a-job-with-syp/diversity-in-the-force/
Thursday 24th January 2019
- Pers spec
- Summary of main duties