Dog Instructor (Constable)
Do you have right skills and qualifications to train new police dogs and their handlers!
This vacancy supports the dog section officers in the training of new police dogs and to ensure professional competence is maintained through ongoing training of current handlers and dogs. This ensures we are able to provide specialist resources to incidents of varying natures across Derbyshire.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and delivering Dog Training courses throughout the year as well as the selection and acquisition of suitable replacement dogs to meet succession planning requirements. The role requires that the successful applicant may be required to take novice dogs home and care for them/exercise them appropriately. This role reports to the Sgt on the dog section and works closely with the rest of the team.
The must haves
- It is essential that any candidate has excellent communication skills both verbal and written as there is a requirement to maintain training records, submit reports when requested in addition to ensuring the training hours for the team are met.
- Flexibility is important and the role may require weekend and evening workings to ensure all training requirements are met.
- You'll be responsible for planning and delivering various Dog Training courses throughout the calendar year as well as the selection and acquisition of suitable replacement dogs to meet succession planning requirement.
- The role requires individuals to successfully complete an NPCC dog instructors’ course in addition to any qualifications they may already hold within 6 months of initial appointment.
- The role requires that the successful applicant may be required to take novice dogs home and care for them/exercise them appropriately. In recompense a Dog Handler’s allowance will be paid accordingly, a double kennel will be supplied for use at home and the use of an unmarked Police Vehicle made available for the transport of dogs. It is expected that the vehicle will be kept at the candidate’s home address.
- Applications will only be accepted from officers serving with Home Office Forces.
The role clearly impacts massively on home and family life and as such it is essential that applicants discuss the expected implications with all family members likely to be affected. (The allowance and van will only be available at such times that a novice dog is being taken home).
Please note this role will require to work some evenings and weekends.
What’s in it for you?
At Derbyshire Constabulary, we aim to create an environment that puts people first. We want you to feel supported in everything you do, so you can give your very best. What’s more, we have a range of reward and benefits that if you join us you could enjoy.
The 'Recommend Derbyshire' scheme applies to this vacancy. Please see the attached document for full details of the scheme.
If this role sounds like you, please review our attached Job Description for further details and the essential requirements for this role.
Officers who are absent from work due to sickness may apply for the role via their personal devices. Please contact Recruitment to request a link to the vacancy and this will be sent to your personal email address.
The closing date for this vacancy is 5th April 2024 at 23:55pm.